We follow the Phonics Bug Program and select resources as appropriate.
Our reading books are matched to the Phonic Bug phases of phonics. We ensure children in the early stages of reading are only offered phonetically decodable books.
Reading Offer in school
- We use reading to stimulate learning through immersion into topics and genres through all curriculum subjects.
- We use reading to share the pleasure in stories through our daily whole class novels.
- We use reading to generate debate and discussion through our whole class reading sessions based on extracts from a wide range of genres and cultures
- We use reading to access topic learning for both fiction and non-fiction.
At Tang Hall Primary School, we have rearranged our school library to help promote a love of independent reading through the way we have categorised our books. Our Year 6 librarians ensure the library is also ready for visitors! This also permeates into our class reading corners which teacher replenish on a regular basis.
Pupils also have the opportunity to read for pleasure during lunch breaks where books are also available on the playgrounds and build a personal library at home through our home reading trolley which visits each class on a regular basis.
Some teaching of reading is discrete whilst other lessons follow the school topics:
- Welcome to Yorkshire
- Hidden treasures
- Develop a love of reading
- Encourage fluency and reading confidence
- Prepare pupils for their next stage of learning
We have designed a progression of skills to allow our pupils to become proficient in:
Our entire curriculum, including reading, promotes opportunities to be Challenged, build Resilience, experience Enrichment and explore the wider World (#CREW).
Stakeholders have identified that our pupils lack confidence and life experiences. To ensure our pupils all reach their full potential, we have designed our reading curriculum with a focus on these specific barriers which include:
- Building confidence, stamina and independence
- Developing oracy and extending vocabulary
- Knowledge beyond their immediate locality